Remember the feeling you used to get right before an important exam or test? For a subject that you were good at, a subject that you actually liked? Now, what if you could manufacture that feeling, minus the panicky dread that arises from the fear that your life will descend into permanent darkness if you do badly?
Well, at Doolally All Stars 2017 the air was thick with exactly that feeling. Amidst nervous laughter, fidgety hands, bad jokes (although we can’t attribute all of them to the quiz) and excited chatter, the second edition of the invite-only competitive pub-quiz took place at the Doolally Taproom in Khar.
After an intense written prelims round (with some audience questions thrown in, the participants weren’t the only ones on edge, you know), the 4 finalists took their places in front of the quizmaster. The quizmaster, Deven Deshpande, then proceeded to grill these grizzled veterans.
An excruciating half an hour later, the champions were announced - to very little surprise. The reigning champions retained their title, and everyone went home giddy with lots of beer coupons.
Quizzes can make you light-headed. Who knew?
Actually, we did. Till All Stars 2018!
Answer these questions from the quiz and then rearrange the cities from East-West for something shiny!
1. In 1959, a Nobel Laureate escaped this city and reached Tezpur in Assam.
2. Former President Saleh was killed by Houthi rebels in the Battle for this city in December 2017.
3. The name of this capital city has the same etymological roots in Arabic to a TV News Channel: ‘The Island’.
4. The MLB team's name, Spanish for ‘fathers’, refers to the Spanish Franciscan friars who founded this city, named after Didacus of Alcalá.
5. This city has hosted the Finals of the Kabaddi World Cup from 2010-2013.
6. This city hosted the first day/night Ashes Test in December 2017.
7. This city, which hosts one of the New7Wonders of the World also houses a harbour, considered one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
8. In 1949, a Fiat G.212 of Avio Linee Italiane carrying a Grande team from this citycrashed into a hill killing the entire team.